Confucius Institute Day 2014 is a worldwide event to celebrate the tenth anniversary of Confucius Institute programmes across the world.
We are preparing a variety of activities for the occasion:
1. Two mass online Chinese lessons, Friday 26 September 2014
Five IOE Confucius Classrooms are joining together with the aim to deliver the UK’s largest online Chinese lessons. There will be two online lessons for schools to join (advanced enrollment is required, contact firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Secondary school beginners, 11:00-11:30 – Topics include: Greetings, Hobbies and My School (delivered jointly by IOE Confucius Classrooms Kingsford Community School, Finham Park School and Wellington College)
- Primary school beginners, 14:00-14:30 – Topics include: Greetings and a Chinese song; Writing in Chinese and singing Happy Birthday in Chinese (delivered jointly by IOE Confucius Classrooms Robin Hood Primary School and Rosendale Primary)
2. Celebrating the opening of Russia’s first school-based Confucius Classroom
At 10:30 on Friday 26 September we shall link by video conference to Gynasia School No. 2 in Perm to join celebrations for the official opening of Russia’s first school-based Confucius Classroom.
3. Activities in IOE Confucius Classrooms
IOE Confucius Classroom schools are taking part in a variety of activities across the country.
4. Photography competition and exhibition
We have received some stunning entries from young people (aged 18 and under). Thank you to everyone who submitted their best China photos. The winning entries will be displayed in a special CI Day photo exhibition in the IOE foyer.
5. National strategy meeting for Chinese teaching and learning in English schools
We are delighted to be hosting a national strategy meeting on behalf of headteachers from the schools where Chinese is already embedded in the curriculum. Last December, the Prime Minister announced the UK’s ambition to double the number of people learning Mandarin in the UK by 2020. This meeting is to discuss the next steps for Chinese teaching in schools. Attendance is by invitation only.
Follow our activities on Friday in Twitter: @IOE_CI