Schools that are interested in becoming a UCL IOE Confucius Classrooms will be expected to:
- Deliver Mandarin Chinese on curriculum with a locally employed teacher in post
- Have a development plan for the delivery of Chinese teaching for the school that has Headteacher approval
- Be committed to develop Chinese in the local area through work with other schools, and where applicable with Hanban teachers
- Be committed to sharing expertise and materials by convening regional networking meetings twice a year
- Be willing to host a UCL IOE Chinese PGCE student
- Contribute towards future data capture as required e.g. Chinese exam results, student numbers and annual UCL IOE CI Confucius Classroom data capture
- Submit an annual budget application and delivery plan going forward (if the application is successful).
Your school will need to submit an application to the UCL IOE Confucius Institute (IOE CI) in order to become a UCL IOE Confucius Classroom. There is no template and you should create your own application from guidance provided below. The IOE CI will review the application, and offer feedback before it is sent to Hanban (Confucius Institute Headquarters) for final approval.
Each year there is one deadline when applications will be accepted from schools by the IOE CI. It is:
Your application should include the following documents in both English and Chinese:
1. A written application that should cover the following points:
- A brief introduction to your school (history, location, number of staff and students, age groups, specialism etc)
- Some photos to illustrate various aspects of school life
- Details of Mandarin Chinese provision at the time of application (starting year, curriculum model, student numbers and the year groups, qualifications taught, staffing, activities, outreach if applicable etc)
- A clear plan demonstrating how Mandarin is going to be maintained and developed in the future
- The school’s commitment towards the provision of Chinese on curriculum and support from SMT (e.g. a dedicated classroom for Mandarin teaching, staffing etc)
- What support the school would like to have from Hanban if the status is awarded (new equipment, resources, Hanban teacher support etc)
2. A signed letter of support from the Headteacher no more than an A4 size
You will then be asked to submit some information in a spreadsheet by the IOE CI project team. If you plan to apply and would like to see an example of a completed application please email us.
To find out more about UCL IOE Confucius Institute, please visit our ‘About Us’ webpage, and have a look around our website.
If you have any questions or intend to apply to become a Confucius Classroom please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org